In this video we show you exactly how to connect your laptop to a projector when using a HDMI cable.
Are you trying to connect your laptop to your projector? We can help! Our professional A/V team is responsible for connecting thousands of laptops to projectors every year. We’ve used our expertise to put together this list of super simple steps to help you connect your laptop to your projector.
Using your laptop with a video projector is great if you want to display your PowerPoint presentation, watch Netflix, or host an outdoor movie night on a large screen.
How To Connect Your Laptop To A Projector
Time needed: 5 minutes
How to connect your laptop to a projector
- Place your projector on the table where you want it.
Typically at the front of the room, perpendicular to the projector screen.
- Place your laptop on the same table (as close as possible)
The further away you are, the longer HDMI cable you will need.
- Plug in the power cable and turn the projector on.
It may take 2-3 minutes to warm up
- Plug in the power cable and turn your laptop on.
Always restart your laptop before attempting to connect it to a projector.
- Plug the HDMI cable into the projector
We don’t recommend using a HDMI longer than 25′
- Plug the HDMI cable into the laptop
HDMI Cable: https://currentprice.io/6ft_hdmi
You may need an adapter:
Mini DisplayPort To HDMI: https://geni.us/ZdZ5
USB-C To HDMI: https://geni.us/nEknD
Micro HDMI to HDMI: https://geni.us/ZBcqd
Mini HDMI to HDMI: https://geni.us/ehC6q7
- Sync the projector and laptop by holding down the FUNCTION (Fn) key and pressing one of the following keys to toggle: F4, F5, F7, F8 (each laptop is different, but you’re looking for the function key that has a screen icon on it).
- 0:00 Introduction
- 0:52 Restart your laptop
- 1:09 Power up the projector
- 1:39 Laptop inputs and adapters
- 2:35 Connecting the HDMI cable
- 3:34 Troubleshooting with the projector
- 4:06 Troubleshooting with the laptop
- 4:56 Sound
- 5:41 Connecting to a sound system
- 7:01 Connecting an audio cable to your laptop
- 7:57 Recap
- 8:35 Final thoughts