This tutorial will show you how to connect an analog 10 channel audio mixer (Yamaha MG10) into a powered speaker (Yamaha DXR12). We then connect a microphone (Shure SM58) and a headphone cable to connect a phone.
Before we get into the steps, we’re going to make some assumptions:
- 2 Powered Speakers (Probably Yamaha DXR12 (or similar))
- 1 Small Mixer (Probably Yamaha MG10 (or similar))
- 1-2 Microphones (Wired or Wireless)
- Music Playback (iPod, Phone, Laptop)
Sound Equipment Location
The first step to setting up your sound system is finding the correct location for each component. Here are some things to consider:
- Proximity to power: It’s always wise to locate your audio equipment close to a power outlet to prevent running more cable than is necessary.
- Location of microphone: Where will the microphone be used? Is there a stage area? It’s always a good idea to think about where you’ll want the microphone because that will often dictate the speakers’ location and the mixer.
- Location of speakers: As a general rule, you always want your speakers placed in front of your microphone. In other words, don’t place your speakers in a position where the microphone can easily “hear” the speakers. This will cause the screeching, annoying feedback that everyone loathes at events.
- Location of mixer: There are two possible locations for the audio mixer/controller.
- Between the microphone and the speakers: This just makes sense. It requires the least amount of cable to have your mixer located somewhere between your microphone and speakers.
- In a location that is out of the way (back corner of the room): The idea here is to keep all of the “ugly” A/V equipment out of sight and away from the stage. It requires much more cable to run this way but always looks better.
How To Setup A Sound System
Time needed: 15 minutes.
How To Setup A Sound System
- Place Speakers / Microphones on stands and place them where you want them to go.
- Place the mixer on a table where you want it to go.
- Plug power cables into speaker(s) – Leave them turned off
- Plug power cable into mixer – Leave it turned off
- Plug speakers/mixer into the wall
- Use the XLR cable (round 3 pin cable) to connect the output of the mixer (top right), to the input of the speaker (top, rear). Repeat for all additional speakers
- Use another XLR cable to connect the microphone to the first input of the mixer (top left).
- On the mixer, make sure all of the gain and volume knobs are set their lowest available level.
- On the mixer, make sure all of the EQ and PAN knobs are set to the centre position.
- Power on the mixer
- Power on the speakers
- Turn the master output on the speaker up to halfway (bottom right of MG10 Mixer)
- Turn the volume on the first input up to the halfway mark.
- Turn the gain on the first input up slowly until the microphone is as loud as you want it.
- Repeat steps 13-14 for all additional microphones
- Tape Down All Cable That Is Unsafe
- When you take the equipment down, please do your best to wrap the cable properly
Equipment For Setting Up A Sound System
- Yamaha DXR 12 Powered Speaker: https://currentprice.io/yamaha_dxr12
- Yamaha MG10 Powered Speaker: https://currentprice.io/yamaha_mg10
- Shure SM58 Microphone: https://currentprice.io/shure_sm58
- Shure MX412C Microphone: https://currentprice.io/shure_mx412
- Stereo DI Box: https://currentprice.io/radial_prod2
- AV DI Box: https://currentprice.io/proav1
- Headphone to Dual 1/4″ Cable: https://currentprice.io/14_to_dual_18
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/xlr_cable
- Speaker Stand: https://currentprice.io/spkr_stand
- Microphone Stand: https://currentprice.io/mic_stand
- 3 Outlet Extension Cord: https://currentprice.io/50ft_power
- 25′ IEC Cable: https://currentprice.io/25ft_iec
How To Setup A Sound System Chapters
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:08 – Checking Venue Power
- 1:35 – Room Layout & Setup
- 2:38 – Powering Up & Turning On
- 5:00 – Connect Audio Mixing Console To Speaker
- 6:22 – Setting The Main Output
- 7:20 – Connect Phone & Play Music / Test Speakers
- 9:30 – Connect Dynamic Microphone (Shure SM58)
- 9:59 – Setting Microphone Audio Level
- 10:08 – Microphone Gain
- 11:16 – Microphone Compression
- 12:22 – Microphone EQ / Equalization
- 14:22 – Aux Send / Monitor Send
- 14:30 – Panning Left/Right
- 14:52 – Dynamic Vs Condenser Microphones
- 15:37 – Connect Condenser Microphone (Shure MX412)
- 17:12 – Connect Stereo DI Box
- 18:55 – Connect A/V DI Box
- 19:50 – Final Thoughts