ASMR, or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, has taken the internet by storm, offering viewers a relaxing and often tingling sensation through carefully crafted audio and visual experiences. If you’re an aspiring ASMR content creator, you know that having the right microphone is crucial to delivering high-quality, immersive content.
In this guide, we’ll explore the world of ASMR microphones, what makes a good one, and the top 5 microphones to elevate your ASMR game. If these recommendations are too expensive, we included a section with 5 budget ASMR microphones as well.
What is ASMR?
ASMR is a sensory phenomenon characterized by a tingling sensation that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the spine, often accompanied by feelings of relaxation and euphoria. This response is triggered by various auditory and visual stimuli, such as soft-spoken voices, whispering, tapping, and crinkling sounds. ASMR content creators use specialized microphones to capture these delicate sounds, allowing viewers to immerse themselves in a world of sensory delight.
What Makes a Good ASMR Microphone?
The key to a successful ASMR experience lies in the microphone’s ability to capture the smallest details of sounds while rejecting background noise. A wide diaphragm condenser microphone with a cardioid pickup pattern is the go-to choice for ASMR artists.
- Condenser Microphone: Condenser microphones are more sensitive than dynamic mics, making them ideal for picking up delicate ASMR triggers.
- Wide Diaphragm: A wide diaphragm captures a broader range of frequencies, ensuring that even the subtlest sounds are captured with precision.
- Cardioid Pickup Pattern: The cardioid pattern focuses on sound sources in front of the microphone while minimizing sounds from the sides and rear, reducing unwanted ambient noise.
Now that we know what to look for in an ASMR microphone, let’s dive into the top 5 options.
The Best ASMR Microphones
1. Rode NT1 5th Gen
The Rode NT1 5th Gen is renowned for its exceptionally low self-noise, making it a top choice for ASMR artists. With a large diaphragm and a cardioid pickup pattern, it captures the subtlest whispers and triggers with unparalleled clarity.
Current Price: https://currentprice.io/rode-nt1-5th
Rode NT1 Key Features for ASMR:
- Ultra-Low Self-Noise: The Rode NT1 5th Gen is known for its exceptionally low self-noise, ensuring that even the faintest ASMR triggers are captured with pristine clarity.
- Large Diaphragm: Its large 1-inch diaphragm captures a wide range of frequencies, making it ideal for ASMR, where subtle nuances matter.
- Cardioid Pickup Pattern: The cardioid pattern focuses on sound sources directly in front of the microphone while rejecting background noise, ensuring your whispers and sounds are crystal clear.
- USB Connectivity: The 5th Gen Rode NT1 also has a USB output which can make it easier to record on the fly.
2. Lewitt LCT 440 Pure
The Lewitt LCT 440 Pure boasts a wide frequency response and a cardioid polar pattern. Its frequency response is extremely well suited for ASMR, offering excellent sensitivity and versatility, whether whispering, tapping, or creating other ASMR sounds.
Current Price: https://currentprice.io/lct440_pure
Lewitt 440 Pure Key Features for ASMR:
- Wide Frequency Response: The Lewitt 440 Pure offers a wide frequency response, allowing it to capture both the high-pitched whispers and the deep, soothing sounds of ASMR. The 440 Pure has is very sensitive to frequencies above 4kHz which helps ASMR recordings a lot.
- Cardioid Polar Pattern: With its cardioid pattern, it minimizes unwanted noise from the surroundings, making it perfect for recording in less-than-ideal environments.
- High Sensitivity: This microphone boasts impressive sensitivity, making it highly responsive to even the most delicate ASMR triggers.
- Shock Mount Included: It often comes bundled with a shock mount, further reducing vibrations and handling noise.
3. Neumann TLM103
The Neumann TLM103 is a studio-grade microphone known for its exceptional sound quality and low noise. It’s a favorite among ASMR creators for its ability to faithfully capture even the quietest sounds.
Current Price: https://currentprice.io/tlm103
Neumann TLM 103 Key Features for ASMR:
- Studio-Grade Quality: The Neumann TLM103 is a legendary studio-grade microphone known for its pristine sound quality, making it a top choice for professional ASMR artists.
- Wide Dynamic Range: It offers a wide dynamic range, allowing it to capture both whispering and louder ASMR sounds without distortion.
- Low Self-Noise: With its low self-noise, it excels at capturing the subtleties of ASMR, ensuring your recordings are free from unwanted interference.
- Flat Response: The Neumann TLM103 is known for it’s flat, accurate frequency response.
4. Audio Technica AT4040
The Audio Technica AT4040 is a versatile condenser microphone with a cardioid pattern. It provides a natural and smooth sound capture, making it an excellent choice for ASMR enthusiasts.
Current Price: https://currentprice.io/at4040
AT4040 Key Features for ASMR:
- Natural Sound: The Audio Technica AT4040 is favored for its natural and transparent sound capture, making ASMR triggers sound lifelike and immersive.
- Cardioid Polar Pattern: With a cardioid pattern, it isolates the sound source and reduces background noise, enhancing the clarity of your ASMR recordings.
- Versatile: While ideal for ASMR, it’s also a versatile microphone suitable for a range of recording applications.
5. MXL 990
The MXL 990 is a budget-friendly option that still offers impressive sound quality. While it may not match the high-end microphones in terms of sensitivity, it’s a great choice for beginners or those on a tight budget.
Current Price: https://currentprice.io/mxl_990
MXL 990 Key Features for ASMR:
- Budget-Friendly: The MXL 990 is a wallet-friendly option that still delivers respectable audio quality, making it an excellent choice for beginners.
- Wide Frequency Response: It offers a wide frequency response that captures ASMR sounds with reasonable fidelity.
- Cardioid Pattern: The cardioid pattern helps in isolating your voice or ASMR sounds from the ambient noise in your recording environment.
Don’t Use The Shure SM7B
Please. Don’t use the Shure SM7B for ASMR.
Despite what you might find on the internet, it’s not a suitable choice.
This microphone is a dynamic mic, which means it has a very low sensitivity.
In fact, it’s one of the least sensitive dynamic microphones on the market. Its designed for broadcasting, meant to capture warm vocal tones rather than the intricate details essential for ASMR content.
Are Any Cheap Mics Good for Recording ASMR?
Yes, there are affordable microphones that can do a decent job for ASMR recording:
- Audio Technica AT2020: This cardioid condenser microphone offers a good balance between price and performance, making it a suitable choice for newcomers to ASMR.
Check AT2020 Price: https://currentprice.io/at2020
- TASCAM TM-80: The TASCAM TM-80 is another budget-friendly option with a wide diaphragm, making it capable of capturing ASMR triggers effectively.
Check TM-80 Price: https://currentprice.io/tascam_tm80
- Mackie EM-91C: This condenser microphone is affordable and suitable for capturing ASMR sounds without breaking the bank.
Check EM-91C Price: https://currentprice.io/em-91c
- Behringer C-1: The Behringer C-1 is a reliable and cost-effective choice for those looking to start their ASMR journey.
Check C-1 Price: https://currentprice.io/c-1
- PreSonus M7: With a cardioid polar pattern, the PreSonus M7 provides clear sound capture at a budget-friendly price.
Check M7 Price: https://currentprice.io/presonus_m7
What Equipment Do I Need for ASMR?
To get started with ASMR recording, you’ll need more than just a microphone. Here’s a basic equipment list:
- Microphone: Choose a wide diaphragm condenser microphone with a cardioid pattern for optimal ASMR recording.
- Microphone Stand: Invest in a sturdy stand to hold your microphone in place, allowing for hands-free operation.
- Audio Interface: Connect your microphone to an audio interface to convert analog signals into digital data that your computer can process.
- XLR Cable: You’ll need an XLR cable to connect your microphone to the audio interface.
- Rode XLR Cables: https://currentprice.io/xlr_cable
With the right ASMR microphone and equipment in hand, you’ll be well on your way to creating mesmerizing ASMR content that soothes and delights your audience. Whether you’re a seasoned ASMR artist or just starting out, the microphone you choose can make all the difference in delivering an unforgettable ASMR experience.