Are you trying to split a stereo channel into two mono channels using Garageband? This is a common task if you record an interview using two microphones, with one fed to the left channel and the other to the right.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to split a stereo channel into two mono channels using Garageband so you can mix them individually.
Quick Answer: Place four copies of your stereo audio clip on four separate tracks, panning two to the left and two to the right. Use the gain plug-in to swap stereo channels on two of your copies, leaving you with a left/right pair for each original stereo channel.
How to Convert a Stereo Channel to Two Mono Channels in Garageband.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
- Open A Garageband Project With Stereo Audio File
- Create 3 Empty Audio Tracks
CMD+D three times to create the additional empty audio tracks
- Copy Track 1 to Track 2, 3, 4
Hold down the alt key and drag a copy of your stereo audio clip onto each of the empty tracks. You should now have 4 tracks, each with a copy of your original stereo clip.
- Pan Each Track Full Left Or Right
Track 1: Left
Track 2: Right
Track 3: Right
Track 4: Right
- Add Gain Plugin To Track 2
Select track 2 and activate the gain plugin
- Swap Stereo Channels
Click on the preset dropdown box in the gain pop-up window and select “swap stereo channels”
- Repeat Steps 5-6 for Track 4
- Export your audio
Mute Tracks 3-4 > Click Share (top menu) > Export song to disk
Mute 1-2 > Unmute 3-4 > Click share (top menu) > Export song to disk
For more information, check out the embedded video above.
Our Tutorial Recording Equipment Prices & Specs
- Camera: https://currentprice.io/sony_a7iii
- Lens: https://currentprice.io/sigma_24_70
- Microphone: https://currentprice.io/sony_lav
- Video Recorder: https://currentprice.io/ninja_v
- Video Switcher For Live Stream: https://currentprice.io/atem_minipro
- Key Light: https://currentprice.io/celeb_250
- Fill Light: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax1
- Uplight: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax5
- Truss: https://currentprice.io/truss_black
- Editing Computer: https://currentprice.io/mac_mini
- Editing Monitor: https://currentprice.io/lg_32in_4k