Uplights are one of the fastest, most cost-effective ways to transform an event space. If you’re wondering, “how many uplights do I need at my event,” we’ve packed this article full of advice and recommendations for you.
Quick Answer: The number of uplights you need depends on the size of your event space and budget. We recommend placing uplights every 10 to 20’ around the walls of your venue.
What Is An Uplight?
To help you figure out how many uplights you need, it helps to understand what an uplight is and what it does. Put simply, an uplight is a light (usually an LED Par light) that sits on the floor pointing up along the vertical axis of a wall or pillar.
Uplights can also be called floor lights, wall lights, or wall wash. They turn boring rooms into colorful, energy-filled spaces. Uplighting is a quick, cost-effective way to add a splash of drama to any room.
Wireless & Battery Powered
Uplights don’t require any hardware, rigging, or specialist skills to use. Modern battery-powered wireless units mean no trailing cables through your event space and minimal clutter. You can expect to get 12-20 hours of battery life, depending on the unit you choose to use.
How Many Uplights Do I Need?
The number of uplights you need will depend greatly on the size of your event space. Here are 3 different recommendations based on your event budget.
- Least expensive
Just highlight the room’s key features (e.g., pillars, wall sconces, or corners).
- Best value
Place an uplight every 20’ around the walls of your venue.
- High-end events
Place an uplight every 10’ around the walls of your venue.
- High impact backdrops or feature walls
Place an uplight every 3-5’ around the walls of your venue.
Equipment Used To Make The Accompanying Video
- Camera: https://currentprice.io/sony_a7iii
- Lens: https://currentprice.io/sigma_24_70
- Microphone: https://currentprice.io/sony_lav
- Studio Monitors: https://currentprice.io/hs5_monitor
- Video Recorder: https://currentprice.io/ninja_v
- Video Switcher For Live Stream: https://currentprice.io/atem_minipro
- Key Light: https://currentprice.io/celeb_250
- Fill Light: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax1
- Uplight: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax5
- Truss: https://currentprice.io/truss_black
- Editing Computer: https://currentprice.io/mac_mini
- Editing Monitor: https://currentprice.io/lg_32in_4k