We’re going to explain how we use the Chauvet NetX-II with the Chamsys MQ80 and why you would want to use this equipment together in the first place.
Quick Answer: The Chauvet NetX-II allows you to deliver 8 DMX universes to the stage over a single cable from the Chamsys MQ80. We’ve found this to be a reliable, effective pairing.
Why Use The Chauvet NetX-II & Chamsys MQ80?
The most obvious reasons for introducing the Chauvet NetX-II to your lighting setup are:
- You need to use more than the 4 DMX outputs available on the MQ80.
The NetX-II allows you to deliver 8 DMX universes to the stage over a single cable.
- Your console is a long way from the stage.
You might want to avoid running 4 100’ universes of DMX.
Why The Chauvet NetX-II?
We looked at the official ethernet to DMX node options from Chamsys but were advised by the dealer that they were relatively outdated. The Chauvet NetX-II was half the price and offered 2 x the number of DMX universes; it was exactly what we were looking for.
Our Experience Using The Chauvet NetX-II & Chamsys MQ80
We’ve never had a problem pairing the NetX-II and MQ80. It’s a rock-solid pairing that does what it’s supposed to do. A single cable from one of the MQ80’s network outputs (Artnet or sACN) allows us to deliver up to 8 DMX universes of lighting data to the stage via the NetX-II.
Using The Chauvet NetX-II To Split 4 DMX Universes
If you only have 4 DMX universes and want to use 2 outputs per universe to split the cable, the NetX-II menu allows you to soft patch outputs for this purpose. Remember to let your system tech or console operator know what you’ve done!
Equipment Used To Make The Accompanying Video
- Camera: https://currentprice.io/sony_a7iii
- Lens: https://currentprice.io/sigma_24_70
- Microphone: https://currentprice.io/sony_lav
- Studio Monitors: https://currentprice.io/hs5_monitor
- Video Recorder: https://currentprice.io/ninja_v
- Video Switcher For Live Stream: https://currentprice.io/atem_minipro
- Key Light: https://currentprice.io/celeb_250
- Fill Light: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax1
- Uplight: https://currentprice.io/astera_ax5
- Truss: https://currentprice.io/truss_black
- Editing Computer: https://currentprice.io/mac_mini
- Editing Monitor: https://currentprice.io/lg_32in_4k