In this review, we look at the Rode PodMic Dynamic Studio Microphone. The Rode PodMic is a dynamic cardioid end-address microphone designed to be used for podcasting, voice over, and spoken word.
Some of the key features of the Rode PodMic include:
- A dual-layer mesh and an internal pop filter to help avoid plosives and sibilance.
- An internal shock mount to help isolate against bumps and movement
- Integrated swing yoke mount to further reduce vibrations
Related: Best Podcast Microphones
What’s In The Box?
When you purchase the Rode PodMic, you can expect to find these things inside the box:
- Rode PodMic
- Getting Started Guide / Documentation
Rode PodMic Specs
|Frequency Response||20 Hz to 20 kHz|
|Sensitivity||-57 dB @ 1kHz|
|Weight||2.06 lb / 937g|
Foam Windscreen / Pop Filter
We recommend using some type of foam windscreen or pop filter with the Rode PodMic. We do not think that the built in plosive protection is sufficient for the majority of users.
You can purchase a foam windscreen on Amazon for less than $20 here: https://geni.us/LJb3Q
Mic Activator / Inline Preamp
With a microphone sensitivity of -57 dB, we recommend using a mic activator or in line mic preamp for any preamp supplying less than 60 dB of gain. Having an inline microphone preamp like a Cloudlifter CL-1 will allow you to maintain some headroom on your preamp and avoid adding too much noise/hiss from working the preamp too hard.
You can check pricing of the Cloudlifter CL-1 here: https://geni.us/uLHCu1
Rode PodMic VS Shure SM58
When we compared the Rode PodMic to the Shure SM58, we found that the Shure SM58 had a more complete frequency response and did a better job with recording my voice at the same budget. We recommend the Shure SM58 over the Rode PodMic
Rode PodMic VS Shure SM7B
When we compared the Rode PodMic against the Shure SM7B, there was no doubt that the Shure SM7B beat it with frequency response, plosive protection, and internal shock mounting.
The big question with this comparison is wether or not you think the Shure SM7B is worth 4x the price of the Rode PodMic.
Rode PodMic Pricing
- Rode Podmic: https://geni.us/7atkA
- Rode Podmic Windscreen: https://geni.us/LJb3Q
- Microphone Table Stand: https://geni.us/QAuGAw
- Solid State Logic SSL2+ Audio Interface: https://geni.us/wa9OEIK
- Shure SM58: https://geni.us/owIGKtS
- Shure SM7B: https://geni.us/tQXE
- XLR Cable: https://geni.us/YmA0yK
Topics Covered In The PodMic Review
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:49 – Price
- 1:04 – What’s In The Box?
- 1:18 – Specs
- 1:40 – Proximity Effect
- 2:01 – Distance Test
- 2:14 – Plosive Test
- 2:23 – Foam Windscreen
- 2:40 – Directional Response
- 2:54 – Background Noise Rejection
- 3:14 – Bump Test
- 3:22 – Mic Activator / Inline Preamp
- 3:48 – Rode Podmic vs Shure SM58
- 4:09 – Rode Podmic vs Shure SM7B
- 4:24 – Rode Podmic (windscreen) vs Shure SM7B (windscreen)
- 4:40 – Rode Podmic Pros
- 6:09 – Rode Podmic Cons
- 8:53 – Final Thoughts
Related: Best Podcasting Microphones
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee, which helps to support Kettner Creative.