In this review, we put two popular dynamic microphones head-to-head: the Zoom ZDM-1 and the Rode PodMic. If you’re a podcaster or a live streamer looking for the best audio quality, you’re in the right place!
Zoom ZDM-1 Overview
The Zoom ZDM-1 Dynamic Microphone features a large-diaphragm dynamic capsule with a supercardioid pickup pattern.
The ZDM-1 has a warm sound that appeals to a lot of podcasters, live streamers, and audio enthusiasts.
This design effectively reduces side noises like room sound, focusing mainly on the sound in front of the mic.
The ZDM-1 is ideal for podcasting, live streaming and vocal recording.
Rode Podmic Overview
The Rode Podmic is a budget-friendly, stylish microphone designed with an end-address dynamic XLR setup optimized for speech and broadcasting purposes.
The PodMic can be connected to various professional audio equipment, ensuring top-notch broadcast-quality sound for any production.
For current, up-to-date pricing, you can use the links below to check for the best price available online:
Looks & First Impressions
The Rode ZDM-1 microphone boasts a sleek and professional appearance. It features a large, robust all-metal body with a matte black finish, giving it a modern and sophisticated look. The microphone’s grille, also made of metal, is durable and designed to protect the internal components.
Likewise, the Rode PodMic has a distinctive and professional appearance, tailored for podcasting and broadcasting. It features a compact, all-metal construction with a sleek, matte black and grey finish, giving it a robust and stylish look.
400g (.89 lbs)
937g (2 lbs)
Below you can find the frequency response chart for the Zoom ZDM-1 and the Rode Podmic.
Zoom ZDM-1 VS Rode Podmic Recommendation
After all of our testing, we prefer the sound of the Zoom ZDM-1 over the sound of the Rode Podmic. That being said, the Zoom ZDM is way more prone to noise from moving the microphone and will be unworkable in some situations.
For a more reliable recording, we recommend the Rode PodMic over the Zoom ZDM-1
Zoom ZDM-1 VS Rode Podmic Pricing
- Zoom ZDM-1: https://currentprice.io/zdm-1
- Rode PodMic: https://currentprice.io/rode_podmic
- Rodecaster Duo: https://currentprice.io/rodcaster_duo
- Rodecaster Pro II: https://currentprice.io/rodecaster2
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Headphones: https://currentprice.io/beyer_dt_990
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/xlr_cable
- Mic Stand: https://currentprice.io/desk_stand
- Rode PSA1+ Boom Arm: http://currentprice.io/psa1_plus
- Quality Acoustic Treatment Panels: http://currentprice.io/soundpanels
Zoom ZDM-1 VS Rode Podmic Topics
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:20 – Equipment Setup
- 1:20 – Microphone Price
- 1:35 – Looks & First Impressions
- 2:22 – Microphone Mounting
- 3:05 – Microphone Specs
- 3:55 – Frequency Response
- 5:19 – Plosive Test
- 5:52 – Proximity Effect Test
- 6:23 – Background Noise Test
- 6:48 – Handling Noise Test
- 7:06 – Tap Test
- 7:18 – Audio Processing (EQ, Compression, etc.)
- 7:50 – Blind Test
- 8:21 – Overall Thoughts
- 11:10 – Recommendation