In this video we show you exactly how to setup a mix minus on your audio mixing console. We also discuss what a mix minus is and why it is useful.
A mix-minus is a way to describe an audio output from an audio mixing console. With this setup, the output of the audio mixer contains everything except a single input input.
Mix-minus is often used to prevent echoes, delays, or feedback that would typically be involved in phone interviews, podcasts, video conferencing or live sound reinforcement systems.
Required Mix Minus Equipment
For a mix minus to work correctly with an audio mixer you will need:
- Analog or Digital Audio Mixing Console with at least one auxiliary output (you can also use a FX send)
- Microphones and cables for main mix
- Headset Adapter Cable (see list at bottom of article)
- 1/8″ to dual 1/4″ Cables
- Phone or computer for remote guest
Follow the steps below to setup your mix minus:
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How To Setup A Mix Minus
- Connect microphones and set the gain correctly for the main mix.
- Connect phone or laptop (for remote guest) into mixer.
- Connect aux output from audio mixer into phone or laptop so remote guest can hear what’s coming from the mixer.
- Turn up the aux channels for all input devices (except the phone or laptop that is connected to the remote guest).
- Test your setup prior to your event/show/podcast
Pricing & Specs For Mix Minus Equipment
- Headset Adapter Cable: https://geni.us/NzcUx
- Lightning to headset adapter: https://geni.us/6lAa
- 1/8″ to Dual 1/4″ Cable: https://geni.us/5aCz
- TRS to XLR Cable: https://geni.us/p0tx
- Yamaha MG10 Audio Mixing Console: https://geni.us/WLsbn
- Yamaha MG10XU Audio Mixing Console: https://currentprice.io/mg10xu
- Yamaha DXR 12 Powered Speaker: https://geni.us/68Zcd6
Topics Covered In This Video:
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:10 – What Is A Mix Minus?
- 1:10 – Aux / FX Send On Audio Mixer
- 2:23 – Using A Phone / Headset Adapter
- 6:18 – Using Line In/Out On A Computer
- 7:20 – Final Thoughts
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee, which helps to support Kettner Creative.