Are you trying to connect your cellphone to an audio mixer so you can have a two-way phone interview for your radio show, podcast, or live event?? In this article, we’ll explain exactly what you need to do to achieve this.
Quick Answer: Use a headset adapter cable to send audio from your mixer’s aux send to your phone. The same adapter also returns the phone’s output to your mixer for live monitoring, broadcasting, and recording.
Headset Adapter Cable
With this solution:
- The person on the other end of the call will hear what the presenter is saying through the studio microphone.
- The guests in the room with you will hear the caller through the in-person sound system. All without creating a feedback loop!
The key to making this work is a headset adapter cable. It looks a little bit unusual, but it gets the job done. How does it work? We’ll quickly explain what the 3 connectors do.
- TRRS: Connects to your phone as if you were using a wired headset.
- XLR: Sends mic audio to the phone from an aux send on your mixer.
- 1/8” Stereo Output: Delivers audio from the phone to the mixer.
How To Connect Phone to Audio Mixer for Phone Call / Interview
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Connect headset adapter to phone
Plug the adapter’s TRRS connector into the headset jack on your phone. If your phone doesn’t have a headset jack, you’ll need an additional adapter. In the case of iPhones, use a lightning to headset adapter.
- Connect mixer aux send to headset adapter XLR connector
If your mixer has an XLR aux send, plug in the adapter’s XLR cable. If your mixer has a balanced TRS aux send, use a TRS to XLR adapter to link them.
- Connect headset adapter stereo out to mixer
Use a 1/8” to dual 1/4” adapter to connect the headset adapter headphone jack to a stereo pair input on your mixer.
- Aux send settings
Turn up the aux send level on the mixer channels you want the person on the phone to hear. Make sure the zero the aux send for the phone audio return channel to avoid a feedback loop.
Connect Phone to Audio Mixer for Phone Call / Interview Pricing
- Headset Adapter Cable: https://currentprice.io/trs_to_mixer
- Lightning to headset adapter: https://currentprice.io/lightning_18in
- 1/8″ to Dual 1/4″ Cable: https://currentprice.io/14_to_dual_18
- TRS to XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/trs_xlr
- Yamaha MG10 Audio Mixing Console: https://currentprice.io/yamaha_mg10
- Yamaha MG10XU Audio Mixing Console: https://currentprice.io/mg10xu
- Yamaha DXR 12 Powered Speaker: https://currentprice.io/yamaha_dxr12
Connect Phone to Audio Mixer for Phone Call / Interview Topics
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:32 – Headset Adapter Cable
- 2:05 – Connecting The Headset Adapter Cable
- 4:45 – Final Thoughts
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee from a qualifying purchase. This includes products or services from Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H Photo, Best Buy, Guitar Center, and more.
For more information, read our ethics and disclosure page.