In this tutorial, we set up and test the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface with the Electro-Voice RE20 Dynamic Microphone.
You will be able to hear how it sounds with and without air mode, and you will learn if you need an inline preamp with this setup.
How to Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to RE20
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 To Computer
Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to computer using USB-C cable or USB-C to USB A Cable
- Connect Electro-Voice RE20 to Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL-1)
- Connect Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL-1) to Scarlett 2i2
- Turn on Phantom Power (48v)
- Turn Up Gain As Necessary
- Press Record!
Can the Scarlett 2i2 Power the EV RE20?
The most common question with the Scarlett 2i2 and Electro-Voice RE20 Microphone is wether or not the interface can power the gain hungry RE20. In our experience, the Scarlett 2i2 falls short of powering the Shure SM7B effectively on it’s own.
Scarlett Air Mode with RE20
We find the air button on the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface to be unnecessary when using the Electro-Voice RE20 microphone. This microphone is naturally quite bright and transparent already, and we don’t see the need for the air mode on most voices.
Electro-Voice RE20 & Scarlett 2i2 Pricing
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface: https://currentprice.io/scarlett_2i2
- Electro-Voice RE20 Dynamic Microphone: https://currentprice.io/re20-black
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Inline Preamp: https://currentprice.io/cloudlifter
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones: https://currentprice.io/beyer_dt_990
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/6ft_xlr
- Mic Stand: https://currentprice.io/desk_stand
Electro-Voice RE20 & Scarlett 2i2 Topics
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:42 – Pricing & Specs
- 1:10 – Connect RE20 to Scarlett 2i2
- 1:30 – Gain Setup
- 3:15 – Connect Cloudlifter
- 4:00 – Gain Setup With Cloudlifter
- 5:00 – Air Mode Test
- 5:36 – Pop Filter & Windscreen
- 6:05 – Mic Position
- 6:20 – Final Thoughts
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee, which helps to support Kettner Creative.