In this tutorial we show you how to setup the Shure SM7B Microphone with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
We test to see if an inline preamp like the Cloudlifter CL-1 is required.
We also show you how this combination sounds (3:43) with a demonstration with the Scarlett 2i2 Air Button.
How to Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to Shure SM7B
- Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 To Computer
Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 To Computer using USB C Cable or using USB C to USB A Cable
- Connect Shure SM7B to Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL1)
Connect Shure SM7B to Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL1) Using XLR Cable
- Connect Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL1) to Scarlett 2i2
Connect Inline Preamp (Cloudlifter CL1) to Scarlett 2i2 Using XLR Cable
- Turn on Phantom Power (48v)
Turn on Phantom Power (48v) To activate inline preamp (cloud lifter CL1)
- Turn up gain as necessary
Turn up gain as necessary: aim for -18dB to -12dB for recordings,aim for -6dB for live streaming/video conferencing
- Press Record!
Can the Scarlett 2i2 Power the Shure SM7B?
The most common question with the Scarlett 2i2 and Shure SM7B combo is wether or not the interface can power the gain hungry Shure SM7B. In our experience, the Scarlett 2i2 falls short of powering the Shure SM7B effectively.
Without assistance from an inline preamp, you will have to run the Scarlett at full gain, which will add noticeable noise.
In our test, the Scarlett 2i2 had to be turned all the way up in order to get -15db out of the microphone. When we turn the Scarlett 2i2 up past 90%, we notice that it introduces a significant amount of noise and for that reason we recommend using an external in-line pre-amp like the Cloudlifter or FetHead.
Scarlett Air Mode with Shure SM7B
Generally speaking, we find the Air Mode on the Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface to be complementary with the Shure SM7B Dynamic Microphone. It brightens up a microphone that is normally pretty dark and makes it a bit easier to listen to.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Shure SM7B Pricing
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface: https://currentprice.io/scarlett_2i2
- Shure SM7B Dynamic Microphone: https://currentprice.io/shure_sm7b
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator: https://currentprice.io/cloudlifter
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/6ft_xlr
- Mic Stand: https://currentprice.io/desk_stand
Scarlett 2i2 & Shure SM7B Tutorial Chapters
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:40 – Pricing & Specs
- 0:50 – Connect Shure SM7B To Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- 1:12 – What is a preamp / gain?
- 1:48 – Gain setup
- 2:50 – Cloudlifter Inline PreAmp
- 3:43 – Gain Setup (cont.)
- 5:20 – Focusrite Scarlett Air
- 5:50 – Monitoring Options
- 6:10 – Final Thoughts
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee, which helps to support Kettner Creative.