Can the Mackie ProFX10v3 power a set of 250 Ohm headphones? We plugged in a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro headphones to find out.
Quick Answer: Yes, the Mackie ProFX10v3 does a great job of supplying all the power a set of 250 Ohm headphones need to deliver the volume you want. This mixer will not struggle whether you’re listening to music, editing audio, or monitoring live vocal audio.
Listening To Music
The first test was playing back music from our computer. This is finished music you might play from a service like Spotify, iTunes, or YouTube. It has been compressed, normalized, and had the levels brought up, ready for broadcast.
With the mixer’s blend knob set to USB, we only had to set the headphone volume knob to 35-40% to get the full, immersive music listening experience we were looking for. This is louder than you would want for more casual listening.
Video & Audio Editing
The second test was editing video and audio, using the ProFX10v3 as our interface. When editing, you are often working with unfinished audio, meaning you need to increase the volume of your headphones to hear what you’re doing.
The Mackie audio mixer handled this with ease, and we only had to make a minor adjustment to the headphone volume knob to hear all of the detail and clarity we were expecting through our 250 Ohm headphones.
The final test was vocal monitoring, another common task for 250 Ohm headphones. If you’re ever recording vocal audio for a podcast, live stream, or voice-over, you want to be able to monitor the audio over headphones.
We turned the blend knob over to input (you could also turn blend off) and set the headphone volume knob to 50-60%. That was sufficient to hear all of the detail being captured by the microphone without having to strain or concentrate, which has been a common problem with the bus-powered USB audio interfaces we have tested.
Mackie ProFX10v3 & 250 Ohm Headphones Pricing & Specs
- Mackie ProFX10v3 Audio Mixing Console: https://currentprice.io/profx10v3
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones: https://currentprice.io/beyer_dt_990
- Shure SM7B Dynamic Microphone: https://currentprice.io/shure_sm7b
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Inline Preamp: https://currentprice.io/cloudlifter
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/xlr_cable
- TRS Cable: https://currentprice.io/trs_cable
- Mic Stand: https://currentprice.io/desk_stand
- Rode PSA1 Boom Arm: https://currentprice.io/boom_arm