We tested the Solid State Logic SSL2 audio interface’s 4K mode with the Shure SM7B and Rode NT1 microphones to see which combination sounds best.
Quick Answer: The Rode NT1 with 4K mode turned off was our favorite sounding combination. Our second favorite pairing was the SM7B with 4K mode turned on.
Equipment For The 4K Mode Demo
To put the Solid State Logic SSL2 through its paces, we tested it with Shure’s SM7B dynamic microphone and Rode’s NT1 condenser microphone. 4K mode can be found on both the SSL2 and SSL2+ audio interfaces, so we used the SSL2+ for this demo.
The test was simple enough; record each mic with and without 4K mode to see which sound we liked the most.
SSL 4K Mode Background
4K mode is meant to emulate the sound that the old SSL 4000 consoles are notorious for. Essentially, 4K mode adds a little boost to high-end frequencies and some analog distortion, aka mojo, according to SSL.
Which Is Better?
We’ll start by saying that this is extremely subjective. People will have different opinions and preferences, and individual voices may respond better to different setups. That said, we know what we think; here are our results in order of preference.
- Rode NT1 – 4K Mode Off
- SM7B – 4K Mode On
- Rode NT1 – 4K Mode On
- SM7B – 4K Mode Off
Solid State Logic SSL2 4K Mode Demo Pricing & Specs
- Solid State Logic SSL2+ Audio Interface: https://currentprice.io/ssl2_plus
- Shure SM7B Dynamic Microphone: https://currentprice.io/shure_sm7b
- Rode NT1 Condenser Microphone: https://currentprice.io/rode_nt1_kit
- Rode SMR Shockmount: https://currentprice.io/rode_smr
- XLR Cable: https://currentprice.io/xlr_cable
- TRS Cable: https://currentprice.io/trs_cable
- Mic Stand: https://currentprice.io/desk_stand
- Rode PSA1 Boom Arm: https://currentprice.io/boom_arm
Solid State Logic SSL2 4K Mode Demo Topics
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:13 – Equipment For Demo
- 0:27 – Pricing & Specs
- 0:39 – SSL 4K Mode Background
- 0:58 – Shure SM7B – 4K OFF
- 1:08 – Shure SM7B 4K ON
- 1:24 – Rode NT1 – 4K OFF
- 1:40 – Rode NT1 – 4K ON
- 1:58 – Which is better?
- 2:16 – Final Thoughts
Disclosure: If you purchase an item or service from an outbound link, we may receive a referral fee, which helps to support Kettner Creative.
All opinions are based on our experience and are given for informational purposes only.