If you’re looking to record your stereo mix from an audio mixer, it can be extremely helpful to connect your audio mixer to an audio interface. In this article, we’ll walk through the steps that you’ll need to follow in order to connect your audio mixer to an audio interface.
Quick Answer: To connect your audio mixer to your audio interface use balanced 1/4″ cables or XLR Cables to connect your stereo output into the inputs on your audio interface.
Connect Audio Mixer to Audio Interface
How To Connect Your Audio Mixer to An Audio Interface
- Setup Your Audio Mixer & Inputs
Connect your microphones, line inputs, etc and make sure that you have your mixer setup as per normal.
- Option 1: Connect XLR Cables from your audio mixer output to the inputs on your audio interface
Option 2: Connect Balanced 1/4″ Cables from you audio mixer output to the inputs on your audio interface
This step will largely depend on the outputs available on your audio mixer.
- Keep the inputs on your audio interface turned all the way down.
Since you’re sending a line level signal, you don’t need any help from the preamps on your audio interface.
- Connect your audio interface to your computer
- Connect your Digital Audio Workstation (Audio Software) to your audio interface
- Press Record
Audio Mixer with Interface
If you are new to home recording, there is another option: An audio mixer with a built in Audio Interface like the Yamaha MG10XU. These sound boards combine functionality of an audio mixing board with the connectivity of an audio interface. You plug microphones and instruments into the sound board, then plug the sound board straight into the computer’s USB port.
Pricing & Specs
To see pricing and specs for items mentioned in this article, please visit (amazon affiliate links):
- Yamaha MG10XU Audio Mixing Console: https://geni.us/3BRuA
- Presonus Audiobox : https://geni.us/Ui94H
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: https://geni.us/IySmH
- XLR Cables: https://geni.us/YmA0yK
- Balanced 1/4″ Cables: https://geni.us/S9MFSgB
Kettner Creative is a full service audio visual (A/V) company located in Vancouver, BC. We rent Audio, Video, Lighting, Drape and LED Furniture for events. If you’re interested in our services for an upcoming event – Please contact us!
We do not sell audio visual equipment, we are only focused on servicing live events in Western Canada.
If you purchase anything using the links above, we receive a small commission on the purchase.