Are you trying to connect your laptop to your projector? We can help! Our professional A/V team is responsible for connecting thousands of laptops to projectors every year. We’ve used our expertise to put together this list of super simple steps to help you connect your laptop to your projector.
If you don’t have any of the following, we’ve linked to amazon with some recommendations for you.
- HDMI Adapter (if your laptop doesn’t have an HDMI output)
- HDMI Cable
- Projector (with HDMI input)
7 Steps To Connect Your Laptop To Your Projector
- Place your projector on the table where you want it.
Typically at the front of the room, perpendicular to the projector screen.
- Place your laptop on the same table (as close as possible)
The further away you are, the longer HDMI cable you will need.
- Plug in the power cable and turn the projector on.
The projector will typically take 2-3 minutes to turn on and be ready for input.
- Plug in the power cable and turn your laptop on. If your laptop was already on, shut it down and turn it on again.
Always restart your laptop before attempting to connect it to a projector.
- Plug the HDMI cable into the projector
- Plug the HDMI cable into the laptop
You may need an adapter (MiniDisplay Port, or USBC) to convert to HDMI.
- Sync the projector and laptop by holding down the FUNCTION (Fn) key and pressing one of the following keys to toggle: F4, F5, F7, F8 (each laptop is different, but you’re looking for the function key that has a screen icon on it).
If step 7 doesn’t work, you can hit the Windows Key + P and then select “mirror”.
Do you need sound?
There are three ways that you can play sound during your presentation:
- Through your laptop speakers
- Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right
- Select “audio devices”
- Select realtime audio speakers/headphones
- Through a sound system
- Use the headphone jack on your laptop to connect to a sound system.
- Through your projector speakers
- By default, sound will come out of the projector speakers when you plug the HDMI cable in.
- Make sure the volume is up on your projector.
Kettner Creative is a full service audio visual (A/V) company located in Vancouver, BC. We rent Audio, Video, Lighting, Drape and LED Furniture for events. If you’re interested in our services for an upcoming event – Please contact us!
Disclosure: we make a small commission on products purchased using the amazon links provided in this how-to article.