Have you recently been put in charge of sound equipment for an upcoming event? We speak with event planners on a daily basis and one of the first questions is always “how many speakers do I need”.
For the purposes of this article, we’re going to assume that this is for a meeting, presentation, wedding, or any other event that isn’t based entirely around music.
Music (bands, DJs, etc) have many variables and need to be quoted based on their specific needs and it’s hard to make broad recommendations that will satisfy the performers.
Sound System Basics
Before we get into the quantity of speakers required, it’s important to have some basic rules:
- Never rent a single speaker – It’s a good way to save money, but it will almost always result in un-even sound, feedback, or complaints from your guests that they cannot hear.
- Rent in even numbers – Unless you have an a venue that isn’t symmetric, it’s always best to rent in even numbers to make sure that you have even, stereo sound throughout the venue.
How Many Speakers Do I Need?
As a general rule (allow for some variance), we recommend a single speaker for every 100 guests. That being said, we always recommend renting in pairs. We’ve listed some broad recommendations below:
- 0-200 Guests: 2 Speakers
- 201-400 Guests: 4 Speakers
- 400-600 Guests: 6 Speakers
Some variables that might modify our recommendation:
- Oddly shaped venues – Venues that aren’t square/rectangle
- Experiential Events – These venues tend to be more spaced out and require larger coverage
- Music – Any event with live music (including DJs) will likely need additional equipment.
We hope this gives you a better idea of what is required. For more information, please see the video below:
Kettner Creative is a full service audio visual (A/V) company located in Vancouver, BC. We rent Audio, Video, Lighting, Drape and LED Furniture for events. If you’re interested in our services for an upcoming event – Please contact us!